Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Girl Scout Cookies - Samoas; Girls Scouts: 1; Stacey: 0

Like I said here
I had every intention on trying to make everyone’s favorite Girl Scout Cookie. Samoas. I did that Sunday night. It was a pretty large and in charge disaster. Let me fill you in. Pull up a chair to witness my dumbassery.

Cookie:

1 cup butter softened
½ cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp vanilla extract
2 tbs milk - optional (since I melted the butter, I didn’t need milk)

Topping:

3 cups shredded coconut
12 oz. “good quality” chewy caramels
¼ tsp salt
3 tbps milk
8 oz semi-sweet chocolate

Okay, if you just make the cookie part of this recipe, it will make a delicious, mouth watering butter cookie. So I take this as a win, in my book. I love a butter cookie.



Melt the butter. Duh. Or it says “soften” but I always melt butter that should be softened anyway. I am a rebel.


Cream butter and sugar and then gradually add everything else.


At first I started out making circles and the recipe says that you can roll the dough out but I am too gangster for that noise so I just rolled them into a ball and then flattened them with the palm of my hand. Fancy, I know.


I baked at 350 for 12 minutes and they were done but they are so soft they fall apart (and melt in your mouth!) so they probably needed to cook for a few minutes longer, so I will count that as issue #1.

Those look tasty, no?


Okay so melt the caramels for the topping.


Then you are supposed to add your newly toasted coconut into your caramel mixture but I think I added too much. Issue#2


So I mixed everything together. And then the recipe says to “spoon” the mixture over the cookie. There was no spooning to be had here. So I just kind of placed and smashed the stuff onto the cookie and the caramel was try and starting to harden so…issue #3.


Like the no-limit soldier I am, I continued on. I melted the chocolate.


The recipe says to dip the bottom of the cookie in the chocolate. The cookies were falling apart at this time so that was a no-go. So I just kind of dipped one side in. Issue #4.

They look terrible, nay, pitiful. But I tried. And they taste pretty damn good. The caramel is a little too hard to eat but they taste pretty good. They are in no danger of not getting eaten here, I assure you.

So there you have it. I am going to play around with this recipe for a while. I am not ready to give up on it just yet but when I have a few hours to kill I will try again. So, like tomorrow. I can see the gold there, I am going to mine it. Yeah, I said it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger